Rumple Dormitory

the front of the dormitory

Dates: Built in 1903. Demolished in 1955

Quote: The erection and furnishing of this building mark the beginning
of a new era of comfort and convenience in student life at Davidson. Although
the exterior is almost severely plain, no expense has been spared to make the
building a model in light, ventilation, and comfort. A fire-wall, without
openings, divides the whole building into two halves, each with its own
entrance and stairway, and each of these has three floors, with five rooms on
a floor. There are thus no long hallways or noisy corridors, and only ten
students on each of the six floors. . . . All rooms are heated by steam, and
each is supplied with one or two large closets, a book shelf, two single iron
beds, and a well-made set of furniture. Nor has the aesthetic been neglected.
Each room is supplied with a picture shelf, six feet from the floor, extending
around the entire floor, in addition to the ordinary picture moulding near the
ceiling, and the walls are tinted in delicate and harmonious shades of olive
and green. “The New Dormitory” Davidson College Bulletin
(Souvenir Album). November 1903.

Named for: Jethro Rumple, class of 1850 and member of the Board of
Trustees, 1859-1906.

to Campus Building List

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.