The best place to begin is with the published histories of the college. They can provide suggestions for topics and identify original source materials.
- Beaty, Mary D. A History of Davidson College. Briarpatch Press, 1988. 378.75 D25b D Room: D 081 B3691da
- Shaw, Cornelia R. Davidson College. Fleming H. Revell Press, 1923. 378.75 D25s D Room: D 090 S53d
Housed in the College Archives, the D-Files contain clippings, reports, and general information about topics and organizations related to the college. To use the D-files, come by the Archives office and speak with the staff.
College publications can be divided into two general categories: Administrative and Student. Most of the publications can be found in the Davidsoniana Room as well as the College Archives. The publications include:
- College Catalogs (1842- )
- Quips and Cranks (1895- )
- Bulletins (1902-1971)
- Davidson Monthly (1870-1871)
- Alumni Journal (1934-1967)
- Davidson Magazine (1886-1926)
- Davidson Update (1971-1989)
- Davidsonian (1914- )
- Davidson Journal (1987- )
- Scripts and Pranks (1936-1965)
- Campus Chronicle (1986- )
- Chameleon (1926-1930)
- Track of the Cat (1968-1981)
- Libertas (1996- )
- Rules and Regulations for Students (1927-1960)
- Wildcat Handbook (1896- )
- Davidson College Web Page – Student organization web pages
Within the College Archives Department, there are several types of records: Archives, Manuscript, Photographs, Audio-visual.
An online database is available to for these records. Some of these materials have been scanned and are available as online collections.
- Archival Records – include files from the President’s Office, committee minutes and reports from the Vice-President for Academic Affairs, records from academic departments, records from the Vice-President for Finance and Administration and the Vice-President for Institutional Advancement, reports and publications from the Admissions Office, and records from the Student Government Association and student organizations.
- Manuscripts – these collections relate to Davidson alumni and local organizations.
- Photographs – The College Archives holds hundreds of photographs documenting college activities. An index to the collection is available in the archives office.
- Audio-visual – This contains cassette tape and videotape recordings of campus activities and interviews. Indexes to these collections are available in the archives office.
- People: For many topics, it may be necessary to interview people. The archives staff can help identify and contact current and former faculty, staff, and students.
Bibliography on Davidson College History
Beaty, Mary D. A History of Davidson College. Davidson, N.C.: Briarpatch, 1988.
Beaty, Mary D. and Sarah Merritt. “Davidson College Time Line and the Evolution of Chambers.” Davidson Journal 1 (1987): 12-13.
Cromartie, Caroline King. The Physical Development of Davidson, North Carolina: An Historical Analysis. Davidson College Honors Thesis, 1978.
Davidson, Chalmers Gaston. “Davidson Celebrates.” Davidson Journal 1 (1987): 2-7.
Davidson, Chalmers Gaston. Mid-Point for ’28. Davidson, N.C.: Davidson College, 1953.
Fischer, Karl W. The Mystics and Beta Theta Pi. Germantown, PA: Beta Theta Pi, 1940.
Kelley, Robert Lincoln. Davidson College: A Diagnosis and a Prescription. Lancaster, PA: Council of Church Boards of Education in the U.S.A., 1926.
Lingle, Walter L. Memories of Davidson College. Richmond, VA: John Knox, 1947.
Logan, Van Lear. “Growing Up in Davidson.” Davidson Journal 1 (1987): 20-23.
Ramsey, Robert Wilson. Milestones Backward Run: The Story of Beta Theta Pi at Davidson,1858-1940. Davidson, NC: The Phi Alpha Chapter of Beta Theta Pi, 1940.
Ratliff, Charles E. Economics at Davidson: A Sesquicentennial History. Davidson, NC: Davidson College, 1987.
Scherer, John P. A Code of Civility: Antiwar Dissent at Davidson College During the Vietnam Era. Davidson College Honors Thesis, 1989.
Shames, Steven A. A Good Faith Effort: Integration at Davidson College. Davidson College Honors Thesis, 1996.
Shaw, Cornelia Rebekah. Davidson College. New York: Fleming H. Revell, 1923.
Shaw, Cornelia Rebekah, comp. War Records of Davidson College, 1917-1918. Charlotte, NC: Presbyterian Standard, 1923.
Spencer, Samuel R. The First Year. Davidson, NC: Davidson College, 1969.
Shaw, Cornelia Rebekah. Davidson College. New York: Fleming H. Revell,